3.02 Action Item #2
06/09/2009 Board Worksession - Instruction 8 a.m.
3. BOARD SUPERINTENDENT AGREEMENT 2008-09
Agenda Item Content
Year End Reports
Dr. David McGehee, Superintendent
#2. Continue to evaluate the value of membership in the Cooperating School Districts of Greater Kansas City and make a recommendation regarding R-7 participation.
2007 – 2009 School Years
Through continued participation through membership and by serving as President of the Board of Directors for the Cooperating School Districts of Greater Kansas City during the 2008-2009 year; progress will be monitored and direction will be given to ensure that the CSDGKC continues to align with the mission of the R-7 School District. Evaluation will include an estimate of cost v. benefit analysis, monitoring of progress of the organization under the direction of new leadership, and assessment of the services provided to the district through its membership in this organization, specifically including the benefit of legislative lobbying efforts and professional development opportunities.
Current Status of Progress:
As you will recall, in September of 2008 the CSDGKC hired Dr. Gayden Carruth to serve as the first full-time Executive Director. Dr. Carruth is a retired superintendent from the Park Hill School District. Under Dr. Carruth’s leadership, CSDGKC has continued to benefit from the initial planning that occurred during the previous executive director’s one-year tenure. Prior to 2007, the Coop was less structured and served the primary purpose of collective lobbying in Jefferson City. Currently, CSDGKC is governed by a Board of Directors consisting of the following representatives:
Dr. David McGehee, President (Superintendent, Lee’s Summit)
Dr. Jim Hinson, President Elect (Superintendent, Independence)
Mr. Jim Cohen, Vice President (Board Member, Blue Springs)
Dr. Larry Ewing, Past President (Superintendent, Fort Osage)
Dr. Jim Horton, Member (Superintendent, Excelsior Springs)
Dr. Todd White, Member (Assistant Superintendent, NKC)
Mr. Doug Van Zyl, Member (Superintendent, Harrisonville)
Mr. Joe Anthuis, Member (Board Member, Raymore-Peculiar)
Mr. Allen Meyer, Member (Board Member, Grandview)
Accomplishments during the past year include but are not limited to the following
1. Installation of nine-member board of directors as allowed by our CSDGKC By-Laws representing superintendents and boards of education.
2. Hired a new executive director September 1. The executive director and communications director positions were upgraded to full-time.
3. Continued refinement of the By-Laws.
4. Development of the 2009 Legislative Position Statements and continued agreement with Rackers and Associates for lobbying services. Adopted first federal legislative platform.
5. Development of the first Return on Investment Report (attached).
6. Created the CSDGKC Foundation by-laws and board of directors. The CSDGKC Foundation received formal 501 (c) (3) designation.
7. Establishment of standing Legislative and Finance Committees. (Mr. Jeff Tindle and Dr. David McGehee serve on the Legislative Committee and Dr. Tom Kurucz serves on the Finance Committee.)
8. Completed audit of financial statements for year ended June 30, 2008 by independent auditor (attached).
9. Development of policies and procedures, including a personnel manual.
10. Pursuing agreement with Metropolitan Community College for office space on the Penn Valley Campus. This agreement will allow the offices to move from Liberty, Missouri to an area that is more strategically located for CSDGKC to meet the needs of its members. This space is being leased at 3217 Broadway, Kansas City Missouri at $13.50 per square foot @ 1,400 square feet. In lieu of rent and cost for improvements to the space, CSDGKC is providing an affiliate membership. MCC will be providing $14,000 of improvements and the agreement is for five years.
11. Created Affiliate memberships allowing vendors, businesses, and organizations to participate in CSDGKC’s mission and goals and to create a new revenue stream for CSDGKC (attached).
12. Increased the number of member districts from 22 to 25 school districts.
13. Secured payment from KCMO District for current and past year annual dues.
14. Continues to work with CSDSTL to refine our cooperative purchasing agreements.
15. Organized and provided opportunities to work with County Executive and Assessor to discuss County-Wide Reassessment.
16. Strengthened relationship with Kauffman Foundation.
17. Adopted a Code of Ethics.
18. Helped fund a state-wide TIF Study and shared information with membership.
19. Strengthened the Professional Development Network. The network enjoyed its most successful year-to-date, both in number of attendees and class offerings. Instructinal workshops hosted by nationally recognized education experts Marzano and Pickering led a list of offerings that are significantly improving instruction across our region.
20. Lowered dues for all districts by including 10 cent Professional Development Network (PDN) dues as a value added to CSDGKC members. Current membership dues are $2.00 per student for member districts. The PDN is now officially folded into the CSDGKC family of services.
21. Investigating Fuel Hedging options.
22. Website development.
from the Executive Director and the
e-mail newsletter to ensure CSDGKC members enjoy timely and accurate communication.
It is my recommendation that this item not be included in the Board and Superintendent Agreement for 2009-2010 and that the district continue its membership in the Cooperating School Districts of Greater Kansas City. This item can be revisited as necessary in the future.
Dr. David McGehee, Superintendent
Action Agenda Details