3.05 Action Item #5
06/09/2009 Board Worksession - Instruction 8 a.m.
3. BOARD SUPERINTENDENT AGREEMENT 2008-09
Agenda Item Content
Community Relations Department
Board Action Item #5. Initiate an informational campaign informing R-7 citizens about the district enrollment status, Comprehensive Facility Master Plan, program and facility needs and possible future tax levy and no-tax-increase bond issue.
Throughout 2008-09 year.
1. Publicize fall 2008 enrollment growth and financial challenges in R-7 publications and website and through press releases to the media. Contact television stations to encourage coverage of back-to-school activities with tie to enrollment growth.
2. Publicize the Citizens’ Advisory Committee’s efforts to study the district's financial situation.
3. Work with superintendent to inform staff about ruling regarding the teacher retirement system and Social Security payments.
4. Develop communications plan related to late notification of lowering of property assessments by the Jackson County assessor's office.
5. Work with superintendent to provide budget information to staff, media and community.
6. Create R-7 website regarding budget challenges.
Current Status of Progress:
1. Although enrollment growth was lower than we've seen in the past, growth continued to be included in communications although the emphasis has switched to budget challenges. Superintendent's columns related to the budget challenges have been published in the
Lee's Summit Journal
community newspaper with a special budget issue of
published in April 2009.
2. Press releases about the Citizens' Advisory Committee's study during fall 2008 have been submitted to the media, and articles have been published in
the district's e-newsletter and on the website.
3. A communications plan was developed to keep staff up-to-date regarding the Social Security issue including a number of e-mail messages to staff and a district web page devoted to this issue.
4. The county's late notification and its impact on R-7 finances were publicized through a September superintendent's column in the
Lee's Summit Journal,
newspaper and in other R-7 publications and press releases.
5. Beginning in winter 2008-09, communications efforts regarding the budget intensified with the emphasis on updating staff first, then key communicators such as Citizens' Advisory Committee, PTA presidents and Educational Foundation Board. A number of e-mails from the superintendent went to staff regarding the budget's impact with several of these also going to key communicators. These messages were also re-printed in the district's staff newsletter for employees without e-mail. An April 2009 issue of
focused on the budget.
6. A web page focusing on the district's budget went live during April 2009.
Janice Phelan, Community Relations director
Action Agenda Details